EOTD: Flash Sedative
Eyeshadow, Hot Lips - Comments (2) - October 18th, 2013
It’s October, and that means Meow Cosmetics has Halloween stuffs available too! Yay! Wear ALL THE HALLOWEEN STUFFS!!! Today I wore a colors from the Asylum collection, as well as a Zombie color.
The lid color is Flash, from Silk Naturals. Flash isn’t a Halloween color, but it is a very shimmery complex gold color with a hint of silver and diamond pearl. The crease color is Sedative, the Asylum color. Sedative is a warm metallic silver. I have a sample of it, and while it’s really pretty, it’s not quite a must-have for me, so I won’t order a full size. It is really pretty, though. The highlight color is one I did love enough to order in full size: Skelecat, from the Halloween Zombies. Skelecat is a white color with gold and green iridescence. It’s one of my favorite highlight colors. The eyeliner is a brown color from Physician’s Formula’s Shimmer Strips Gel Liner. It’s pretty darned good for a drugstore (aka inexpensive) gel eyeliner set.
The blush is from Milani, a Baked Blush in the shade Corallina. It would appear the Corallina shade is discontinued – which is too bad, because it’s pretty great. I’m wearing a new Aveda Uruku Color Gloss, this time in the shade Berry.
EOTD: Lingered Oogie
Eyeshadow, Hot Lips - Comments (1) - October 16th, 2013
I’ve been on a Shiro kick lately because it’s October and the halloween stuff is available. I used Oogie Boogie and Dr. Finkelstein, along with a color from the Hobbit collection. I didn’t have time to photograph my face when it was fresh, so these pictures are after about six hours of wear. Not bad! I had to blot off the shinies, but I didn’t do any other touch-ups.
The lid color is Oogie Boogie, a swampy green-beige. The crease color is Lingered in Twilight, a blackened blue and green tones with slightly metallic shimmer. The highlight is Dr. Finkelstein, a somewhat sheer, ultra-pale ghoulish green-yellow-grey with blue shimmer. I used a black Physician’s Formula Kohl eyeliner on the upper and lower lashlines, as well as the inner rims.
The blush is Thing, from Detrivore Cosmetics. The lip color is an Uruku Color Gloss from Aveda in the shade Luna. I am addicted to this lip balm/gloss thing. It’s pretty awesome.
EOTD: Shiro Halloween Pretties
Eyeshadow - Be the first to comment! - October 13th, 2013
It’s that time of the year, when Shiro Cosmetics brings out the awesome Halloween colors. I used Pumpkin King and Ragdoll, which are really nice together.
Pumpkin King (in the crease), is a blackened copper packed with orange sparkles. Use a sticky base for extra sparkle action. Ragdoll (on the lid), a faded rust matte base filled with lilac and blue sparkles, is one of my favorite orange-y reddish colors. I used Tears of Retail Employees to highlight. The eyeliner is a metallic brown shade from Sephora, which I don’t think they make anymore.
I used Thing blush from Detrivore and totally forgot to put my lip gloss on before taking a picture. I wore this with Aveda Uruku Color Gloss in Luna.
Shiro has two new eyeshadow colors (a purple and a grey-red) and a new lipgloss (a burgundy) to add to this years Halloween collection. I must have them!
5 Things: Haircare!
5 Things, Hair Care - Comments (1) - October 12th, 2013
I have a small stack of haircare products I need to write about, but I don’t really want to review them each separately. Instead, it’s time for a fresh 5 Things post, haircare edition! So you know what I’m dealing with, the roots get bleached every eight weeks, and the blue is applied every four weeks. Chemically processing my hair every four weeks = dry hair. However, I love the blue (and so does practically everyone else I meet) so keeping the damage under control is my main goal when selecting hair care.
1. Giovanni Ultra-Moist Deep Deep Hair Mask. That’s right, it’s not just Deep, it’s DEEP DEEP! I’ve been using this hair mask twice a week in place of conditioner, and it seems to really help my chemically-processed and really dry hair. I also think it’s been helping to keep my color fading, since the blue seems to fade less quickly since I’ve been using it.
2. Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine Shampoo. It contains citrus oils and sunflower oil, and is supposed to help with shine. The scent is amazing (tangerine! orange!) and it also was friendly to my color-treated hair.
3. Andalou Naturals Moisture Rich Shampoo. After I finished the Brilliant Shine, I decided to try the Moisture Rich shampoo, since my hair is pretty dry. It has a nice orange and vanilla scent, and my hair quite likes it as well. Which brings me to…
4. Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine Conditioner. I’ve found that this conditioner (replete with sunflower oil and citrus, just like the shampoo) in combination with the Moisture Rich Shampoo makes my hair quite happy.
5. Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo & Conditioner gets an honorable mention. I was using this these two products when I started coloring my hair blue, and they don’t suck. In fact, they’re pretty decent. I switched to the Andalou products because I was feeling cheap, and it’s my opinion that the Andalou products actually do a better job at reducing fading.
EOTD: Hack Filth
Eyeshadow - Comments (1) - June 27th, 2013
I had forgotten how great Detrivore Cosmetics’ Hack eyeshadow looks on me. It’s definitely one of my favorite shades that they sell, I highly recommend it! It works well with a variety of colors, from purples to pinks to browns or even black colors for a fun smokey look. Detrivore Cosmetics is having their 10 for $20 sale right now, so you should stock up!
The lid color is Filth, soft taupe eye shadow with heavy purple shimmer. Filth is another color I recommend, since it can be quite versatile as well. I put Hack in the crease. Hack is a dark salmon satin eye shadow. The highlight color is Lobotomy, my favorite light sheer gold highlight. The eyeliner is from Givenchy, a brown eye pencil.
I’m wearing Shiro Cosmetics’ Coconut Mall bronzer, a product I highly recommend. It gives a great golden glow. The lipgloss is from Aveda, the shade Gilded Lotus.
EOTD: Colonel Nestyr
Eyeshadow - Be the first to comment! - June 12th, 2013
HUSBAND took me on a little trip recently and I decided to fancy up my makeup, as I often do when we travel. It just seems more fun that way, right? I packed Colonel and Nestyr from Shiro Cosmetics, for something sparkly and dramatic. Of course, I forgot to use flash when I took the pictures so they’re not awesome, but that’s life. It’s natural light through a window, but a bit on the blue side.
Colonel is a military blue packed with gold sparkle. It’s a beautiful color, but it’s fussy. I used it over Fyrinnae’s Pixie Epoxy so the gold sparkle would really stick, and I suspect that’s where the problem was. It was difficult to get it to apply evenly, so I spent a looooong time blending – which of course meant most of the gold sparkle was lost. Boo hiss. Anyway, it’s still a fantastic color, but I’ll probably stick to using it with a wet brush as eyeliner. I used Colonel in the crease. On the lid, I used Nestyr, Shiro’s 3rd birthday color. Nestyr is a soft purple glowing with green, gold, and red duochrome. It’s quite lovely and I highly recommend it! You can see a bit of the red shift in the photo. I used Tears of Retail Employees under the browbone and in the inner corners. The eyeliner is L’Oreal Hip Eye Kohl – discontinued, which is too bad. Stuff was awesome.
I wore Shiro’s Coconut Mall bronzer (still addicted to this) with a light dusting of Detrivore‘s Lascivious Blush. No lipgloss because I’m an idiot and forgot to put it on before taking a picture. I wore Aveda’s Rehydrating Lip Glaze in Gilded Lotus.
EOTD: Detective Alkahestry
Eyeshadow - Comments (4) - June 5th, 2013
Before school was finished, I had gotten a bit lazy about doing my eyeshadow. Why do eyeshadow when you can sleep an extra fifteen minutes? (I know, I know. I’m a terrible beauty blogger.) But I did manage it about once a week, and I tried to make it really good. I wore this look to school, and got rave reviews from my fellow students. It was so good, I had to duplicate it for the blog.
I’m wearing Shiro Cosmetics’ Detective on the lid. Detective is a taupe color with blue duochrome. I put Alkahestry, also from Shiro, in the crease. Alkahestry is a sheer-ish pale violet with a brilliant blue-sparkle base. It’s amazingly beautiful, and I’m happy I got an out-of-focus shot so you can get a sense of the sparkles going on here. Also, Alkahestry is lip safe, and I won’t be happy until I have a custom lip gloss in this color. You know you want one too. I used Tears of Retail Employees under the brow bone and in the inner corners to highlight. IT IS TOTALLY YOUR LUCKY MONTH – because for a limited time, you can purchase Tears of Retail Employees again! GO! GO NOW! DOOOOOO EEEEEET!!!! It’s the perfect pale shimmery cream with a strong copper shift, and green and red sparkles. (While you’re at it, I suggest picking up Nic Cage Raking Leaves on a Brisk October Afternoon and Nestyr.) The eyeliner is L’Oreal Hip Violet Volt.
I also recently bought Shiro’s new bronzer called Coconut Mall. I am wearing it in the photo, along with a touch of Detrivore Cosmetics’ Lascivious blush. Coconut Mall is a shimmery light tan-bronze, and it has quite the gold sheen to it. I had a tough time, actually, deciding between it and the darker shade, and ultimately felt the lighter shade was the safer pick. But I bet the darker shade is awesome too. I really want the summer blush too. I need a job, dammit!
The lip gloss is Aveda’s Gilded Lotus Nourish-Mint Rehydrating Lip Glaze. It’s a nice caramel-gold color.
5 Things That Don’t Suck
5 Things, Best Of, Eyeshadow, Mascara, Skin Care - Comments (4) - May 28th, 2013
Another day and a half (roughly) and I’ll be finished with school. Five business days after that, I’ll be able to drive down to Salem and take the tests to get my esthetician’s license in the State of Oregon AND Washington (by handing over the appropriate sums of money, as well). Amen. Praise the Lord. Anyone who says beauty school is easy is crazy. All I can say is, thank God I didn’t drink alcohol when I was in college, because I probably NEVER would have finished, based on the volume of booze I’ve needed to imbibe to survive four months of beauty school. (I’m only half kidding. LOL.)
ANYWAY. I don’t have a job lined up (yet), so I intend to blog merrily away once school is finished. But I wanted to mention a few products that have been keeping me sane (and looking good) while I’ve been in school. In no particular order, here are five products that don’t suck. (In fact, they pretty much ROCK and I can’t live without them now.)
1. Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes w/ White Tea Extract. Lo and behold, a facial wipe that I can use night after night, and my skin *doesn’t* get all pissy that I’m not really washing it. Seriously, these wipes are THE BOMB.
2. Origins GinZing Eye Cream. Holy catfish, Batman. One of my classmates gave me a deluxe sample size of this, which has lasted ALMOST the entire four months I’ve been in school. It brightens, it de-puffs, it makes you look like you actually got some sleep last night and you’re not miserably hung-over. No, really, it does! I need a full-size of this, like, yesterday!
3. The holy triumverate that is Shiro Cosmetics’ Homunculus, Chimera, and Fullmetal. These have been my go-to colors almost the entire time I’ve been in school for a quick, easy eye look. I just pick one, use it with a beige or taupe color, and VOILA! INSTANT AWESOME. Don’t over-think this, just buy all three. Trust me.
4. Aveda Nourish-Mint Renewing Lip Treatment. I know, it’s sixteen bucks. I KNOW. But it’s basically crack in a tube. My lips don’t want to live without it. I’ve had one in my pocket since like, week 5 of an eighteen week program, and I’m completely hooked. MUST HAVE THIS CRACK.
5. Speaking of expensive and CRACK. Fresh’s Supernova Mascara is my new Holy Grail of Mascara. I busted out my tube early on in the program, and everyone who’s tried it (on me, I’ve donated my face for science many times now to my classmates earning their makeup credits) LOVES IT. It doesn’t smudge, it’s black, it’s soft, it is AMAY-ZING. It’s the shizz, yo.
There you go. The stuff that has rocked my world for the last 18 weeks. I can’t believe it’s almost over.